Friday 10 May 2013

Traction Engine



Moving forward in the theme of steam stack related vehicles the traction engine was the next obvious step for me. A definitive part of the English heritage i thought that it would be nice to reflect this, and in context too with perhaps a couple of circus or fair tents in the background. (http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/) These can then have the bunting continuity incorporated which would really tie the pieces of work together as a set of images. I have also come across a potentially useful image in the book 'In and Around Blandford' which is my hometown.


Again, below are a selection of images roughly showing the engine at the angle i desire to add continuity from the paddle steamer, that have helped me shape my outcome:
I have tried once more to capture the heart of these particular images by including the main features such as the wheels, steam stack, and roofs.

























My outcomes:


This piece now needs to be put through Adobe Illustrator and neatened so that i can add colour. The colour of this piece will be tricky to get my head around but i think its best to use the tones of one colour to reflect the previous paddle steamer work.


Once scanned in i can start to add colour...
I thought id start with trying red based on a few of the traction engine colour themes from the image research above. This will act as my base colour and i have worked from the tones giving a positive effect over all.


The green too works well in this context, again reflecting my research...

Now, the black tones have worked surprisingly much better than i thought they would which makes this piece my favorite so far. It has a depth too it, and one that can only become more effective with the faux print overlay.


Water over the ink set to be scanned into adobe Illustrator...


Once into Illustrator i have Live Traced the image at 125 and this is the outcome ready to be overlaid allowing the Faux print effect to take place.

These outcomes are great and it'll be tough to pick a final one myself. I will have to put it to my peers...






No comments:

Post a Comment