Friday 10 May 2013

Paddle Steamer



My first thoughts of something that encompassed a steam stack was a paddle steamer. Paddle steamers intrigue me because of their heritage and detail within the construction; there's a mystery about them in my opinion.
I have planned to draw from photographic reference and keep my drawings simple so that i can scan in the image and work it up on Adobe Illustrator and perhaps add colour.

Here is a selection of images that have helped me shape my outcome:
I have captured the essence of these particular images because they include everything that i need; steam stacks, paddle wheel, and a body.








Here are my outcomes: 


This is in need of a background, Something that ties the image together and creates  a vignette so that i can easily use this as a promotional piece or later on in my career as an image for a music/ concert poster perhaps...


I have chosen to go with a mountain, a cold adventure like theme. Also the steam resembles my enjoyment for Ken Taylor's work (below), and also that of Roger Dean and Rick Griffin who i featured in my inspiring artists section (found on www.nathanjeffriesad33idioms.blogspot.com). 




This is the first colour outcome. I have picked these colours because they are subtle and different. I am also a fan of the hue and tones within these colours too. 
Upon reflection, this doesn't look at all very professional with this colour choice. Perhaps i need more of a 'tones of one colour' approach...

This blue edition is MUCH better and so much more professional looking. I have kept the bunting as i think that this is a nice narrative, and something that i can run as a theme throughout all of my outcomes using the different vehicles.


To develop this work so that it ties in with previous work i have in mind to use the same process that i did with the greetings cards from AD32 where i washed over my ink with water and scanned in the image giving a great effect that i very much liked and would like to pursue with... This has all come about due to a crit with Caroline Pedler who simply placed the question of 'do you want to be known for your style with the cards of this unassociated, very clean digital work here?'... 
Here is the washed outcome ready to be scanned:

The scanned outcome below Live Traced to resemble the style of the previous card range. 

OVER-LAY!!!! YES! I am greatly encouraged by this faux print outcome right now! How good does this look!?
Development with the flag. Reflecting on peer and tutor assessment its been said that a white flag would bring the piece to life even more. The flag is white to represent purity, which ties in to the background reasoning to the theme of steam.
Other representations of the white flag could be interpreted with either surrender or ceasefire, but in this case, purity. 

I have conducted a number of colour experiments purely to see if there are any different ways to present y work using colour. It's worth noting that i have only done this for the paddle steamer as it would be pointlessly repetitive if i were to match the same outcomes for the other vehicles on their feeds. So, here is where is started:

I have kept the black water outline, but chosen a simple, deep blue to colour the rest of the steamer. Over all it now appears bold and to be honest, quite bland...
Alternatively, here i have chosen to produce the water outline in the blue form above and coloured the paddle steamer a light grey. The colours work well together, but don't do justice to the work.
The above experiment is all blue. This works well to an extent because it really does appear like a print thats been slightly off set. Still relatively bland however, but the best so far.
Once again i have kept the water outline blue but this time had a look as to what the black colour would come out like. Not bad, but definitely too dark, and extremely subtle is the outline in blue. This doesn't work.
I have progressed from the blue water outline to producing it in white. This reflects the white outline that the image gets and would therefore look subtle... i was worried it may get lost and become unnoticeable, but it has worked well... I wonder what it would look like with white on black...
Well, here is the white outline on a strong black fill. I really like this because it acts so much like a print due to the line quality of the overlying water outline. However, not one to progress with as i prefer the different tones to block colour over all. 

So back to the final outcome from before, but it has been suggested that i change the inside boat colour (The bit where the people would be if they were to be inside). It would look a little more connected with the rest of the piece... Let's see:

I am unsure of this development. It certainly brightens up the piece and draws out the blue from the mountain, maybe for those realisations it may well work... 




No comments:

Post a Comment